Whether you're visiting Tunbridge Wells for the day, or you've been living in the area for a while - it is almost guaranteed that you won't know, or have noticed, these little gems of information unless you have a baby in tow.
Despite having lived in Tunbridge Wells for three years before my son arrived, venturing into the town became a whole new experience with a newborn. I suddenly felt vulnerable, as I had no idea how to get around. Basic information alluded me, like the location of lifts, where I could find baby changing facilities, and even the existence of feeding rooms! It was a whole new world that I had to discover! As such, I thought I'd like to share my discoveries for any new or soon-to-be parents out there, with the aim of reducing the 'sudden fear' of going out in Tunbridge Wells.
Location of lifts within Royal Victoria Place:
- Marks and Spencer
- Boots (inside the store, as well as alongside the shopping centre)
- Top of shopping centre, outside WHSmith (this lift goes down to the food court, but is very slow and normally packed)
- Car park (very close to the WHSmith one, but doesn't go to the food court, great if you just need to go to the shop levels and don't want to wait for the WHSmith one)
Location of baby change facilities:
- Cafe Nero
- Food court - located in the 'Parent's Room' near the toilets
- Marks and Spencer
- Prêt a Manger
- BHS (although this room is so small you can't get a buggy in)
Location of baby feeding facilities:
- Food court - located in the 'Parent's Room' near the toilets - two curtained cubicles with comfy chairs, and toddler restraining seats, as well as a microwave and bottle warmers
- Mothercare - bottle warmers and padded benches
Good cafes to go to (space for buggies and not so quiet that you feel self-conscious with a crying newborn!)
- Manna (the cafe at Christ Church on the old High Street)
- Cafe Nero (on the old High Street)
Good baby classes that I can personally vouch for (many other classes available):
- Free 7 week Postnatal Class at the local Children's Centres (birth to 6 months)
- Baby Sensory
- Puddle Ducks Swimming
- Monkey Music
- Little Signer's Club (baby signing)
This is unlikely to be a comprehensive list of every facility available, but it is all the ones that I've discovered to date (although some I may have forgotten about over time!). I am looking to develop this resource for parents with young children, so if anyone has any other suggestions for inclusion, or any great services they have received in the area, please feel free to post in the comments box!
With that in mind, I often see requests for newborn and children's photographers in local online forums. Here at Jade Tinkler Photography, I specialise in beautiful portraits of bumps, newborns, babies and children, and love working on location, be it your home or a park or other local area. Tunbridge Wells and the neighbouring areas are such a pretty part of the country and it's great to incorporate the surroundings where possible.
I have photographed children and families for many years now, and love being welcomed into the fold to witness the love and laughter that families share. It is so rewarding to be able to capture this artistically and provide families with memories caught in time, to be treasured forever.
When my little boy was born, I couldn't believe how tiny he was. As with most new mums I'm sure, I spent many an hour just watching him, not believing that he was mine! However, the speed at which he grew (and continues to grow!) was amazing, and I wish I had harnessed those early days by photographing him as much as possible. Since then, I have trained in the art of newborn photography, attending courses on safety and posing, and love being chosen to capture those extra special early days of a baby's life.
If you would like to book a portrait session with me, or would like more information, please do get in touch!